If you’ve read a few of my other recipes, you know I’m lactose sensitive. Of course, it doesn’t stop me from baking with milk and butter most of the time. However, there are times where I just don’t feel like dealing with the consequences. That’s where this next recipe fits right in. Almond butter cookies. Simple, sweet, salty, and chewy. Yum. These cookies contain six ingredients, are flourless and gluten free.
The best part of this recipe is that you only have to refrigerate this sticky dough for 15 minutes in the fridge. You’ll need a cookie scoop too. It’ll just be super easy to scoop out onto the baking sheet. You’ll have perfectly round cookies.
The next best part of these cookies, as if it wasn’t awesome already, is the flake salt. I used Pacific Blue flake salt for this recipe, but you can use any coarse sea salt. The sea salt is the perfect complement to sweetness of the almond butter and brown sugar.
The recipe will yield about 10-12 cookies, but you may want to double the recipe. I mean, I’ve already eaten a few right out of the oven. 😀 Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Refrigerate Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Servings: Varies (about 12 cookies)
- ¾ cup of almond butter (I used Sam’s Choice brand)
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of fine salt
- 1 tsp Pacific Blue flake salt / coarse sea salt (for sprinkling over top)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, and egg. Use a handheld electric mixer on medium low speed to combine (about 1-2 minutes)
- Now add the vanilla and almond butter. Continue mixing until the dough starts to form and pull away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will have a play-doh sticky consistency.
- Place the bowl with the dough in the fridge, and cover it with a kitchen cloth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop and place the cookie balls on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the Pacific Blue flake salt or coarse sea salt over each cookie ball before baking.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes or until completely cooled. Store the cookies in a sealed container to avoid them from getting a little hard on the outside. Enjoy!