It’s hard to believe that March is here. Should I be taking out my Christmas tree already? Geez. I’m happy that winter is almost done. To be honest, I love the cold weather, but I do enjoy spring and summer too. It’s the time to plant your veggies and herbs, BBQ out on the patio, and just enjoy the sun. Springtime means St. Patty’s Day and Easter are just around the corner. Time to start thinking about some simple menu items for your next reception. This delicate and flaky tart is a showstopper. The earthy green from the asparagus is the perfect color for the holidays to come.
Elegant and simple, asparagus is loaded with nutrients and fiber. Not to mention that they complement any dish. This spring veggie, paired with the light and bright puff pastry and parmesan cheese are all you need for a perfect bite. You can serve this tart for a light casual Easter brunch, a fancy dinner, or your next green themed St. Patty’s Day party. Whatever the occasion, this tart is great. Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 plus (15 minutes refrigeration)
Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Asparagus bunch (about 20 spears)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Black ground pepper (to taste)
- Puff pastry dough
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- All purpose flour (to roll out puff pastry dough)
- 1 cup of Parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
Note: Remember to thaw out the dough no more than 40 minutes before use, or as stated on the package.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough on a lightly floured surface, until the creases are smooth. Be gentle. You should have a rectangular shaped dough.
- With a knife, lightly score a ½ inch border around the dough.
- Brush off the excess flour and place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Brush the border of the dough with the egg.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the asparagus in the olive oil, kosher salt, garlic, and black ground pepper. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes, take the tart out of the oven and press the center down with a spatula. The dough will tear and break in some places, this is ok.
- Arrange the asparagus inside the tart.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese over the asparagus.
- Bake for another 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tart from the baking sheet and let it cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.