I’m usually a fan of making recipes from scratch, but let’s keep it real: we don’t always have time to make them. Life–it’s busy, it’s fast, it’s now! I think that it’s okay to use ready made ingredients in our recipes from time to time. It’s about doing what you love, and making what you have available work, right? Just because you may use a store bought or ready-made ingredient, that doesn’t mean you’re not a great cook or entertainer.
Inspired by St. Patrick’s Day, which is coming up in just a few days, I needed to create something quick for our green themed celebration. Now, I know there are so many recipes out there with the typical green food coloring, but I just don’t want to go that route. I want something green and festive, but also want to use ingredients I already have in the pantry. St. Patty’s Day is such a fun day, but other than a few cute decorations from the dollar store, I don’t want to spend a ton of money on groceries just for that day. Since we’re having a potluck (pun intended), I figured everyone can bring something to make our table look bright and festive anyway.
I had some Keebler Ready Crust Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crusts in the pantry, and some Key limes, and thought, why not? A smooth creamy filling, crunchy graham cracker crust, and plenty of lime zest.
I know Key lime tarts are not “Irish” but they’re cute and so easy to make. If you need to make more than the 6 servings that come in the package, just double the recipe.
Who said you have to serve strictly Irish dishes anyway? They’re sweet and tangy, and green-ish! 😉 Perfect. Let’s eat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp of powdered sugar
- ½ cup of Key lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp of Key lime zest
- Keebler Ready Crust Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crusts
Directions for the Key lime filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Using a medium size bowl, whisk together the sweet condensed milk and egg yolks until smooth.
- Now add the lime zest and lime juice, and stir until completely blended.
- Add the filling to the Keebler Ready Crust Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crusts and bake for 8 minutes. I added a bit of water to the bottom of the baking sheet to prevent the shells from burning (about ¾ cup of water).
- After 8 minutes, take the baking sheet out the oven and let the tarts cool for 5 minutes before removing them.
- Place them on another baking sheet and refrigerate while you work on the whipped cream.
Directions for the whipped cream:
- In a medium size bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and beat on medium speed with an electric handheld mixer until soft peaks start to form.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue beating on medium speed until stiff peaks form (they won’t be super stiff) for about 2-3 minutes.
Directions to assemble the tarts:
- If you have a pastry bag available, use a star tip to pipe the whipped cream. Use a few spoonfuls at a time to fill the piping bag, and refill as necessary. Otherwise, use a dessert spoon, and dollop the whipped cream over the tarts.
- Garnish with additional Key lime zest and serve immediately.