The best part of spring is, well, everything! Beautiful sunny days, clear blue skies, and fresh veggies galore. I don’t know why, but I’m always more inclined to eat my veggies in the spring and summer. Can you relate? 😀
I’m also always looking for a reason to be outside more, and a little less in the kitchen. Therefore, quick easy recipes are a must. This next recipe is Cuban-ish. I used the Cuban picadillo recipe I’d previously shared with you to make this recipe, but topped it with Panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Therefore, Cuban-ish. As far as I know, the Cuban version of stuffed peppers, or ají rellenos, is a meat and white rice combination. I decided to leave the rice out of this recipe, but you can add it if you’d like. It will be delicious either way!
This recipe is quick, easy, and flavorful. The bell peppers are so bright and bring a nice freshness to the rich ground meat mixture. They are the perfect vessels for this filling.
How gorgeous do they look? Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 bell peppers (I used yellow, red and green bell peppers)
- 2 Tbsp of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup low moisture Mozzarela cheese, shredded
- A few parsley leaves, for garnish
- ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Lb. lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- ¼ medium size yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ medium size green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf (remember to take it out before assembling your bell peppers)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp green olives
- Capers (optional)
Note: If you have a food processor feel free to use it for the onion, garlic, and green pepper for a more uniform texture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the canola oil, diced onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Finally, add the salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, olive oil, bay leaves, capers, and olives.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Wash, dry and take the seeds out of the peppers by cutting the tops off and scooping them out.
- Place them on a baking sheet and roast them for 5 minutes.
- Once the ground meat is done, use a spoon to fill each pepper.
- Top with Panko breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese, and the parmesan cheese.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
2 Comments Add yours
That sounds delcious! I’ve got to try it.
Please do, and thank you!
LikeLiked by 1 person