Infused with the warm, black pepper essence of turmeric, this sweet potato recipe is definitely one of my most adventurous side dishes yet. I feel that sides should stand out as much as a main dish. So, what better way to stand out than with the strong, earthy, almost bitter flavor of turmeric?
I think this paired perfectly with the sugary flavor of the sweet potatoes. A sweet and savory contrast indeed!
This next recipe is similar to sweet potatoes you make for Thanksgiving, except adding the turmeric takes it to another level. This golden color spice not only has strong color and flavor, but is said to have anti-inflammatory properties as well.
The recipe is very simple to prepare and roasts in the oven in only 20 minutes. Be sure to use utensils while preparing this recipe, as the turmeric tends to stain the hands or clothing. However, the golden color of the turmeric added a boost of even more color to the already bright orange sweet potatoes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Pep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4-6 small sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 Tbsp of turmeric
- 2 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp of ground nutmeg
- ½ Tbsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp of black ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a shallow dish, add the sweet potatoes, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, black ground pepper, ground ginger, turmeric.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in olive oil, coating completely.
- Now, arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the sweet potatoes to a serving platter or dish.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.