I’ve officially become a noodle bowl fan. Yup–I think I may have jumped on the bandwagon for this one. There’s nothing like a big hot bowl of broth filled with a variety of textures and flavors–wow! This next recipe is so simple and so good. A few fresh ingredients and you’ll be munching in no time. I’ve picked a few of my favorite veggies and put it all together. As I was putting it together, I thought, if a bowl of Pho and a bowl of Ramen had a baby, this would be it! It’s an easy combination and it works. The vegetable broth is light, and the veggies are hearty. There’s softness from the noodles and crunch from the different vegetables. There’s a bit of spice and heat too. The noodles soak up all that yummy broth–mmmm. The addition of a grilled chicken breast, and hard boiled eggs completes the dish. A super filling bowl and so healthy! I think you’ll love this. Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 packs of ramen noodles (5 oz. packs), cooked and drained as per package instructions
- 2 Tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 baby bok choy, washed, dried and trimmed
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained (8 oz.)
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and dried or wiped clean
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced (seeds optional for more heat)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth (you can use low sodium chicken broth too)
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup snow peas
- 4 medium chicken breast, grilled and sliced (see additional directions)
- 2 tsp of fine salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp of cracked black ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp of garlic powder (for the chicken breasts)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional)
- A bunch of cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Black or white sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
Directions for the grilled chicken breasts:
- For this recipe I used my indoor Griddler from Cuisinart, but you can use a shallow frying pan, oven, or other preferred method for the chicken breasts.
- Add a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and cracked black ground pepper to both sides of the chicken. Drizzle a bit of olive oil to each chicken breast to avoid sticking to the grill.
- I set the Griddler on sear mode at 425° F and cooked the chicken breast for a total of 8 minutes. Since the Griddler has a lid, 8 minutes is all it took.
- If you are using the frying pan method, follow step # 2 and cook each breast for 4-5 minutes on both sides.
- If you are using the oven method, follow step #2 and bake the breasts at 400° F for 10 minutes.
- In a large deep frying pan or wok over medium heat add the sesame oil, minced garlic and fresh ginger. Stirring constantly, sauté them for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, shiitake mushrooms, salt, cracked black ground pepper, and snow peas. Stir together to combine all the ingredients and sauté them for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and turn the heat down to medium low. Let the vegetables simmer in the broth for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add the previously cooked ramen noodles, stirring them in gently.
- Now add the water chestnuts and allow everything to simmer together for an additional 3 minutes.
- Lastly add in the baby bok choy. They will cook and wilt in the broth quickly, about 1-2 minutes is all it takes.
- Grab a large serving bowl and add a large ladle of the the vegetable and noodle broth.
- Place the sliced grilled chicken over the noodles. Then arrange a couple of boiled eggs on the side. Dot the eggs with some Sriracha sauce.
- Finish with a garnish of sliced jalapeños, cilantro leaves, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!