I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream…especially if it’s dairy free!
Being dairy sensitive and having a sweet tooth do not go hand in hand. I’m always trying to figure out how to make desserts that I can eat without the struggle. This next recipe is basically four ingredients. It’s made in the food processor, and chilled for four hours or overnight. It’s smooth, creamy, and dairy free! Filled with fresh strawberries, this cashew and Medjool dates based ice cream is thick like a mousse. It certainly won’t last long at my house.
This recipe can be doubled or even tripled and will last a while in the freezer. Just make sure you leave it out to soften for 15 minutes or so before serving, as it does turn very solid. You can use any fruit you like for this recipe too. The best part is that there is no ice cream machine needed, you can use your food processor. Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cup of whole frozen strawberries, thawed but still cold
- 2 Tbsp of raw honey
- 8 medium size Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup of whole cashews, unsalted and unroasted
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (optional)
- In a large food processor, add the cashews, strawberries, Medjool dates, and honey.
- Run the processor on high speed first to break down all the ingredients. This step should take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off the processor, and with a spatula, scrape down any ingredients on the sides.
- Now place the lid back on and lock it. Turn on medium speed and mix for 8-10 minutes.
- The mixture should be smooth and creamy. If it is still grainy, mix until it is smooth.
- Place a few spoonfuls of the mixture into a freezer safe container. Add a few fresh strawberries, then more mixture over them. Do this step over until you have filled your container.
- Place the lid on the container and place it in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy!