Ever have a bunch scattered pantry items, toppings, or random pieces of veggies in the fridge that you just don’t know what to do with ? It happens to me all the time…
Instead of throwing them out, why not make a pizza? It’s an easy way to use all these items that you may otherwise let spoil in the fridge because you don’t know what to make of them. Waste not, want not right? This is a win-win if you ask me!
This pizza dough recipe is pretty simple to make. There is really no need to let it rest. You can just make it and bake it. You can also keep it in the freezer like I do, for those days you want something fast and easy to make for lunch. If you’re going to make it ahead and save it, coat it in olive oil and double wrap it to avoid drying out.
This dough can easily be used for garlic bread or even pizza pies (hot pockets anyone?). There’s a little hint of sweetness to the dough from the honey. Inspired by a local pizza place in town, I had to incorporate that into this dough recipe.
A few simple ingredients and done in 20 minutes.
Anything goes with this recipe. I’ve included the veggies that I like and had on hand, but you can add any toppings you want. It’s especially good for the summer while the kids are out of school. Keep it simple, make it a grown up pizza, or make it a dessert pizza too. Who doesn’t love an easy, delicious pizza? Not to mention this is healthier than your favorite pizza chain brand. Let’s eat!
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
- 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of water, warm
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil, plus more
- 2 Tbsp of raw honey
- 2 ¼ tsp of active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups of 5 blend cheese, or mozzarella
- ½ medium green pepper, sliced thin
- ½ medium orange pepper, sliced thin
- ½ medium yellow pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium piquillo roasted red pepper, sliced thin
- 6-8 slices of bacon, cooked
- 1 ½ cups of cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 6-8 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- Trader Joe Brand “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning (for the crust)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of black ground pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeño, deseeded and diced small
- 1 Tbsp of red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Add the yeast and honey to the warm cup of water. Let sit for 5 minutes until it becomes foamy. Do not stir it yet.
- In a large bowl add the all purpose flour, salt and olive oil and mix it together. You can use a spatula or your hands for this step.
- Next stir the yeast, honey, and water to properly combine. Add it to the flour mixture and work it until a fairly firm dough forms.
- Then, on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a ball. You may need to dampen your hands with warm water or dust a bit more flour until it all comes together.
- Let it rest for a few minutes until you’ve got all your toppings ready.
- Roll the dough out to desired thickness, placing it on a pizza pan or other shallow baking sheet. Brush a bit of olive oil onto the pan to avoid sticking.
- Lightly brush olive oil around the circumference of the dough and crust. Sprinkle the Everything But The Bagel seasoning around the crust.
- Add the tomato sauce, veggies and other toppings. Don’t forget the salt, black ground pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Spread the cheese over the toppings.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!