Have you ever has a pantry full of ingredients but didn’t know what to make? Cooking mental block indeed. This next recipe comes directly from Meem’s pantry and fridge.
As I stood in front of the fridge, admiring the 50 different bottles of sauces and condiments, I glanced at few packs of different veggies and thought I might as well roast these before they go bad. Waste not, want not, right? Then I opened the freezer, and behold, a pack of country style ribs. Aha! I decided I would make Asian inspired ribs in my Instant Pot, and a side of roasted veggies. Perfect! Sometimes the best dishes come together from left unused ingredients, and this dish is just that.
I often cook what I like to eat, so I always have a few ethnic food ingredients lying around. We enjoy all types of foods at our house and that is a very good thing when you’re running low on everyday go-to items.
I grabbed all my ingredients and went right to it. I had some Korean Gochujang, which is a red chili paste, and some Chinese Hoisin sauce, which is sweet and salty. I just went with it. This dish couldn’t be easier, and frankly, I am extremely happy with the outcome.
You can use any veggies you have on hand. I used sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. Simple salt, pepper, and olive oil with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar to the sweet potatoes. In the oven at 350° for 27 minutes.
Now, I know short ribs or spare ribs are typically used for Asian style ribs, but honestly, any style works for my recipe. Country style ribs are boneless, thicker and have more meat. I’m ok with that. Let’s eat!
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55-60 minutes
- 2 Lbs country style ribs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup Gochujang (red chili paste)
- 1 cup Hoisin sauce (sweet & salty)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp ground coriander seed
- Black or white sesame seeds for garnish
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Cut your ribs into 2” pieces and sprinkle them with the salt and black ground pepper.
- Turn your Instant Pot on and set to sauté mode.
- Add canola oil and sesame oil to the pot.
- Stir in the red onion, garlic and celery. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rib pieces and cook for 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Now add the ginger, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, paprika, ground mustard, and coriander. Stir to combine.
- Then add the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, Gochujang, Hoisin sauce, and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Place the lid on, close it, and set the pressure valve to sealing mode.
- Set the Instant Pot to meat/stew mode and cook for 30 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes of complete cooking time, rapid release the pressure valve and wait until it has fully decompressed before opening the lid. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Set to sauté mode again and without the lid cook for another 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced down and thickened. You should see thick sticky sauce.
- Plate and garnish with the sesame seed and parsley or cilantro. Enjoy!