It’s always a good time for egg toast. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner it’s an easy way to eat something light and healthy. You can dress it up or keep it simple. The possibilities are endless.
For this next recipe I used Sara Lee’s Artesano Bakery Bread. It is the perfect thickness and texture for my recipe. I must say, I’m not the best egg maker in the kitchen (my daughter is a pro) so I keep it simple with a light and fluffy scrambled egg and avocado, but any style egg would be great. These bread slices can hold up to any eggs or toppings and won’t turn too soft or soggy.
I used a side of organic arugula and Campari tomatoes (our favorite) lightly dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I quick pickled some red onions and used it to garnish along with chives and red pepper flakes for a little heat.
It’s that simple. Anything goes with egg toast!
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 slice Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Bread, toasted
- 1 egg or 2 🙂
- 1 Hass avocado (mashed or sliced)
- Salt, to taste (plus more for side salad)
- Ground black peppercorn, to taste (plus more for side salad)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Organic arugula
- Campari tomatoes (any tomatoes work)
- A squeeze of lemon juice (for the arugula and tomatoes)
- Lemon zest (for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1 Tbsp of sour cream
- Pickled red onion (directions below)
- Chives, chopped
For quick pickled red onions:
- Thinly slice one medium red onion.
- In a large bowl add the onions and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Add 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Add 2 Tbsp of sugar.
- Add whole black peppercorns (about 1 tsp).
- Add 2 cloves of garlic, peeled whole.
- Place all the ingredients in a glass container. Mason jars work great.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 2 months.
For the scrambled egg:
- Set a non-stick frying pan on medium low heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter. Wait 2 minutes or until the butter starts to melt.
- Crack and whisk your egg. Add salt and pepper to taste once your mixture is scrambled.
- Add the egg to the pan. After 1 minute gently fold the egg mixture.
- Fold in the sour cream and cook until cooked to your liking. The egg should be light and fluffy.
- Place your toast on a pretty plate.
- Add a layer of avocado.
- Place the the egg on top.
- Garnish with pickled red onions.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle chives and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Don’t forget to add your side salad of arugula and tomatoes (dress with olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper) Enjoy!