How fun and delicious are Rice Krispies treats? I think they are one of the best, and easiest, things to make for a fun night in with the kids, a get together, or in this case, Valentine’s day. It’s a simple, sweet treat that conveys a fun, no fuss attitude. It is gooey and nostalgic to being a kid again. It is also a personalized way to give your friends, family, co-workers, or your other half a sweet gift. You can decorate them or leave them plain, either way they are awesome!
I was looking for an easy way to make these usually square treats more festive to the occasion. I happened to find cute little heart cookie cutters at Walmart and decided to buy them. I can reuse them every year, even for birthdays or other holiday treats. They are perfect, and at about .97 cents each, well, you can’t beat that now can you?
Here is the recipe:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
Servings: Varies (depending on the size of your cookie cutter)
- 1 Lb bag of mini marshmallows (16 Oz)
- 1 box of Rice Krispies cereal (12 Oz)
- ¾ cup of salted butter (plus more for the baking sheet)
- Aluminum foil (for baking sheet)
- Festive sprinkles (I used little hearts but use your favorite)
- ½ cup of Nestle Toll House white chocolate morsels (dark or milk chocolate is ok too)
- Heart shape cookie cutter(s)
- Lightly butter a baking or cookie sheet (I used a 17.25” x 11.5” rectangle). Then, cover it with aluminum foil.
- Now, grease the top of the aluminum foil as well. This helps remove the Rice Krispies treats without sticking.
- Place a large pot over medium-low heat and add the butter. Stir until melted.
- Add the marshmallows and stir to combine until melted.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the rice cereal, and stir together to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet.
- Spread evenly and press down lightly until you cover the entire baking sheet.
- Let it cool completely at room temperature for 1 hour. Do not refrigerate.
- Take the heart shaped cookie cutter and press down on the Rice Krispies mix to make the heart shapes.
- Place them on another baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Now you can decorate your Rice Krispies treats with the festive sprinkles and white chocolate or candy melt.
- If you are using the white chocolate morsels to drizzle or coat the hearts, place them in a glass bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Have fun with this! Happy Valentine’s Day.