When I need a break from all the hearty dishes I typically make, I turn to my favorite salad. This salad is my own take on the countless salads out there today. I use my favorite fish, and veggies–and well, bacon! I mean c’mon, everything’s better with bacon I always say. 😉
Salads are a great way to eat all those vegetables that you may not normally eat on your day to day. Personally, coming from a Cuban household, these things aren’t the norm, but I’ve learned to love them. You can create your own version of all the healthy ingredients you like, or try new ingredients. For example, the many types of seeds, or the cute little microgreens and sprouts. They are so delicate, and just plain good for you. They add enormous flavor, texture, and massive amounts of nutrients. The chia seeds I used in this recipe are among my favorite type of seed. They are loaded with antioxidants, high in protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. Huzzah!
As for salmon, well, what’s not to like? It’s high in vitamin D, in omega-3 fatty acids, and helps lower your cholesterol. Salmon has a unique firm texture and taste, which I love. Woot-woot!
Can you tell I was happy to make and eat this? Oh yes. I hope you like it as much as I do. Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Atlantic salmon filets (I used Sam’s Club Members Mark)
- 1-2 avocado, sliced
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and sliced in halves
- Green onions, small chop
- Clover sprouts (for garnish)
- Baby corn, diced
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bacon strips (cooked in the oven/directions below)
- Chia seeds (sprinkled for garnish)
- Pumpkin seeds (sprinkled for garnish)
- Organic seasoned croutons (not featured)
- Italian dressing
- Red cabbage, shredded
- Baby spinach
- Red onions, small chop
- Carrots, shredded
- Baby bella mushrooms, thin sliced
- Celery, small chop
- 1 Tbsp of salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp black ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil (for salmon filets)
- Lime wedges
Direction for the salmon:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place the salmon filets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Liberally sprinkle the salt, black ground pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder over the salmon fillets to coat both sides
- Drizzle olive oil over each filet to coat both sides.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes if the filets are thawed. If frozen bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and set aside.
Directions for the bacon:
- Place the bacon strips in a single layer, on a shallow baking pan lined with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Bake at 400° F for 10-12 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Take out of the oven and place the cooked bacon strips on paper towel to remove excess fat.
- Once completely cooled use kitchen shears to cut the bacon slices into small strips, you can just crumble them also.
To assemble the salad:
- Use a large salad bowl or plate.
- Place the baby spinach as the first layer to your dish.
- Now place the salmon filets in the center of your bowl and begin to add the other ingredients around. Layer the veggies, eggs, and seeds. Have fun and be creative with this part. Don’t forget the Italian dressing.
- Finally top the salmon filets with the clover sprouts for a beautifully finished presentation. Add additional salt and black ground pepper if necessary. Enjoy!