A little know fact: Cubans are always looking for any excuse to have a party. Your sister cut her hair, your brother in-law got a promotion at work, your son’s tooth fell out–party time! Oh, and we’re known to be a bit exaggerated too ;D. Seriously though, anything for family time, dancing, and FOOD.
This next recipe is soooo simple. Bocaditos. The literal translation is “little bites”.
Whether you have friends and the whole family coming over unexpectedly, any of the above mentioned moments, or for a birthday celebration, these bocaditos are just the perfect solution. They are filled with a ham spread that takes 10 minutes to make. These cute little finger sandwiches are semi-sweet, salty, savory, and delicious. You may want to try them the next morning with a cup of coffee. Yum!
These little sandwiches are a typical addition to any, and all Cuban family occasions. They can be served on tiny croissants, hawaiian potato rolls, saltine crackers, or any sandwich bread. When using bread with a thick crust, simply trim off the edges, cut into halves, and there you have it. If you can find the original bocadito bread in your area, well, even better. Either way, this ham spread little bite is the bomb! Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Refrigerate Time: 15 minutes (but can be served immediately)
Servings: 25 (depends on how many you can eat)
- ½ Lb to 1 Lb of Serrano ham (Black Forest ham works)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt (to taste)
- Black ground pepper (to taste)
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp vinegar
- Sriracha or hot sauce (to taste/or about 1 tsp)
- Chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Your bread of choice (I used mini croissants)
- In a food processor, pulse of all the ingredients together until it becomes a fine paste.
- Place in a plastic container with lid and refrigerate for 15 minutes. You can use this spread immediately if desired.
- Spread a nice layer of the ham spread onto you croissants or rolls, and place on your favorite party tray. Done!