This next recipe is one from our typical Sunday brunches–except it was Saturday! I woke up super hungry so I decided to go all out for a Saturday brunch instead. I had some really good brioche bread from our local grocery store, and decided on some very decadent french toast.
This french toast recipe is very simple to prepare. The brioche bread is soft and sweet so it only takes one minute to soak per side. Otherwise, it will literally break apart even before throwing it on the griddle.
If you don’t own a griddle, a large non-stick skillet will work as well. The best part of this recipe is that I used heavy cream instead of the typical milk and egg mixture. The combination of heavy cream, egg, the warm spices of nutmeg and cinnamon along with the already sweet eggy brioche, made it extra rich. The light whipped cream and fresh blueberries help balance this french toast just right. Well, let’s not keep talking about it. Go make yourself a batch! Let’s eat.
Here is the recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 toasts
- 8 slices of Brioche bread
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp of ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp of butter for the griddle or skillet
- Confectioners sugar
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Fresh blueberries
- In a large glass baking dish, add the heavy cream, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and the pinch of salt.
- Use a whisk to beat the egg into the heavy cream and combine all the ingredients together.
- Now set your griddle to high medium high temperature, or if you’re using a skillet, set on medium heat on the stovetop.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the griddle or skillet. Add the second Tbsp after you’ve made the first few toasts.
- While the butter melts, soak one or two slices at a time in the mixture. One minute per side is enough time. If you have thicker slices, then 2 minutes per side.
- Place the brioche slices on the griddle or skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Plate and garnish with whipping cream, fresh blueberries, and maple syrup.
- Lastly, sprinkle confectioners sugar over it all. Serve immediately.